Thursday, June 12, 2014

Just How Much Do We Really Need...?

Have you ever watched the show HOARDERS...?  Well, I have and I must say every time I watch this show I get the urge to purge and throw stuff away.  So surely enough, after about 3 episodes of HOARDERS, I carefully began analyzing "my stuff".  And I noticed I had an abundance of all sorts of "stuff", whatever it was.  Then I thought to myself..."why?"...there really wasn't an answer! 

So I decided to declutter "my stuff" and make my life easier.  I know this process won't be at all easy, but I really need to get real with myself and let go of "my stuff"...after all, they are just "stuff", right...?

I started with clearing out my nail polish stash this week...

Look at this!!!  I had in total 63 nail polishes!  This does not include the
 20 some nail polishes that I had already gotten rid of prior to this blog.


Grouped them into same color families...Deep reds/purples

The neutrals

Pinks

Corals

Reds, Golds and Coppers

Glitters
 
Black, Nudes and browns...Notice all the color patterns...? 


Alright!  Let's get started!!! 
 


It took me a few days to swatch some of the colors directly on my nails to see how it wore on my hands and skin tone (about NC 30).  There were some nail polishes I had to toss into the trash because it became really goopy.  Some got tossed because it gave off such harsh fumes which gave me a huge headache I literally wanted to puke.  Those were the easiest to eliminate.  You know it's time to get rid of nail polish when they start to stink and make you sick...Other polishes weren't as easy to get ride of even though the colors were very similar.  I had to make executive decisions to get them out of my stash!  But I did mange to get rid of them by looking at the colors in detail and comparing them to each of the other similar colors.  I also looked at the formula.  As you all know some formulas are a bit more difficult to work with than others (streaky or impossible to build up the color).   

The ones I did keep (all 58 of them!) were the ones I reached for often and colors I knew worked well with my skin tone. (I knew this would be difficult!) 

I was a bit disappointed with myself.  I thought I was going to get rid or more than I really did.  In the near future, I hope to get rid of a lot more and only keep about 15-20 nail polishes in my stash.  After all I don't own a nail shop, I don't need this many...right?  So with that in mind, I decided to keep my eyes on more than a handful of nail polishes in the coming months.  I will see if I reach for them or see if they even look good on me.  I may change my mind later, you never know, right?  

I know I don't have nearly as many nail polishes as some people do.  But for me, I felt I had a tad too many for just me.  I don't do my nails weekly nor do I try something new or daring, so why do I need this many?  And the truth is...I don't...I do feel better though, having less than what I started off with. 

So I challenge YOU to look around your "stuff" by pulling everything out, taking count/inventory of them.  Sometimes things don't seem as bad when they are put away all neatly and organized.  But when everything is accounted for, it's another story.  
 

 
Thanks for reading about my first destashing experience!  There will be more to come in the future...so stay tuned. 

Bye!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment